I will freely admit that we are not great at being consistent about trying to reduce our electric bill. I have really good intentions to ONLY LINE DRY and keep everything unplugged, but then life happens and I need dry pants and am days behind on laundry and forget to unplug PoniesandFIREjr's nightlight in a rush to get out the door in the mornings. Le sigh.
That being said, I received an email from our electric company today on our quarterly energy usage and they included a cool chart that shows our usage over June, July and August of 2017 versus the same months in 2018. We are actually down about 20%!
I am actually shocked by this. I know we are doing slightly better, but I really would not have guessed that much better. How is this possible?
1. We replaced four windows. Our house is mad old and some of the windows are just old and terrible. While we still have a ton of windows left to replace, these four windows were the worst of the worse and I think they are actually doing something to improve our home's efficiency.
2. With the new windows, we are only using 1 window AC unit this summer, versus 2 last year.
3. While I am not exactly killing the unplugging game, the times I do remember must be helping.
4. We switched out a light fixture to a new one with efficient bulbs.
5. I am trying to air dry our laundry, but I really do still have a long way to go on this front.
These small changes are snowballing into a good sized improvement. Over the course of years, a 20% savings is not insignificant. I'm proud of us! We aren't perfect, but we're improving!